Our leadership team is finalizing details for our next annual meeting. To be good stewards of your time and money, we plan to meet in the days leading up to the special session of General Conference and will host a half-day post-special session meeting to help us all process what has taken place and plan for the future.
There is no doubt that The United Methodist Church faces what is perhaps its biggest challenge with the ongoing debate over human sexuality concerns. This year’s UMAC annual meeting – scheduled around the special session of General Conference – is meant to help prepare you for the important communications tasks that will follow, regardless of the outcome.
The online reservation portal is now open for rooms at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at The Arch. The goal is for all communicators to be able to room in the same hotel, which a half mile from The Dome at America’s Center, where the Special Session of General Conference will be conducted. Room rates in the UMAC block are $151 per night, plus tax.
The rooms can be booked by visiting: https://book.passkey.com/go/SpecialSessionUMAC. If there any difficulties booking online, please e-mail email@example.com and reference the group code UMAC.
Our Tentative Schedule
THURSDAY, FEB. 21
- 11:30 a.m. – Local Church Communicators and Pastors School opens
- Noon – UMAC overview lunch
- 1 to 1:50 p.m. – Workshop options of communications audit, Facebook Live, podcasting and digital storytelling
- 2 to 2:50 p.m. – Workshop options of church online, 2019 tech and marketing automation
- 3 to 3:50 p.m. – Workshop options of communications audit, Facebook Live, podcasting and digital storytelling
- 4 to 4:30 p.m. – Wrap-up and next steps
- 5 p.m. – UMAC members welcome and opening worship with the Rev. Kim Jenne of the Missouri Conference
- 6 p.m. – UMAC awards gallery and welcome reception
FRIDAY, FEB. 22
- 7:30 a.m. – Breakfast in the Know
- 8:30 a.m. – Worship time with Bishop Bob Farr of the Missouri Conference
- 9:30 a.m. – Presentation by Dan Krause, chief executive United Methodist Communications
- 10 a.m. – Discussion on impacts of human sexuality decisions with leaders from the Episcopal and Presbyterian churches
- 11 a.m. – Discussion with central conference communicators
- 11:30 a.m. – Members lunch with elections and budget discussion
- 1 p.m. – Presentation by Gary Graves, secretary of the General Conference
- 2 p.m. – Breakout sessions with workshops on photography, social media and conflict reporting
- 3:30 p.m. – Shop talk with leaders from United Methodist Communications (UMCOM)
- 5 p.m. – Free time
- 6:30 p.m. – UMAC awards gala and dinner
TUESDAY, FEB. 27
- 8 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9 a.m. – Devotion
- 9:30 a.m. – Analysis session with Kennetha Bigham-Tsai, Maidstone Mulenga, Adam Hamilton and Junius Dotson, moderated by Dan Krause
- 10:30 a.m. – Breakout table discussions
- 11:30 a.m. – Report from the table sessions
- Noon – UMAC feedback lunch
Previous Annual UMAC Meetings
- Read about our awards gala.
- Communicator of the Year, the Rev. Deborah Coble.
- Hall-of-famer, Wayne Rhodes.
- Photos from Day 1
- Photos from Day 2
- Photos from Day 3
- Photos from Day 4
- Photos from our awards gala
- Photos from the welcoming reception
- Photos from Thursday events and presentations
- Photos from Friday events and presentations
- Awards banquet photos
- Audio file of Thursday morning worship featuring the music of Rev. Sherry Cothran and the preaching of Rev. Ben Gosden
- Audio file of a presentation by Rev. Susan Henry-Crowe, general decretary of the Board of Church and Society
- Audio file of a presentation by Kathy Burnsed about “Managing Time God’s Way”
- Audio file of a presenation by Rev. Larry Hollon, general secretary of United Methodist Communications
- Audio file of Friday morning worship
- Audio file about Imagine No Malaria
- Audio file of a vigil to protest gun violence in Chicago
- Audio file of Bishop Sally Dyck leading a morning worship service.
- Audio file of Bishop Sally Dyck and Candace Lewis leading a roundtable conversion about “Building an Effective team”
- Audio file of Tim Schraeder, co-founder of the Center for Church Communication, delivering his keynote address
- Audio file of a roundtable discussion about communicating issues related to human sexuality
- Audio file of a morning worship with Dwayne Grant offering the jazz piano and Grace Imathiu offering the homily
- Audio file of Drew Dyck, Judith Valente, Mary Wisniewski, Larry Hollon, and Shane Nichols leading a roundtable conversation about working with the media
- Audio file of United Methodist Communications “Shop Talk”
- Audio file of the UMAC Awards gala